According to data sourced from Nations Online, the United States is the third most populous country in the world, with more than 330 million people as of 2020. It should be noted that a growing population increases the need for resources such as food, water, housing, energy, healthcare, transportation, and more. And all that consumption increases the chance of catastrophic events like pandemics as well as ecological degradation, conflicts, and other social problems.
Population growth will unavoidably put strain on the environment, causing more deforestation, less biodiversity, and increase in pollution and emissions, all of which will worsen climate change. This is why it is important for the government and residents of a growing city to adopt preventive measures against catastrophic events.
One sure way of making the environment more habitable in a populous city is by installing irrigation and drainage systems. These solutions help in reducing air pollution, natural disasters and help with energy generation. Contacting Houston heights irrigation and drainage is the best option for a safer and healthy environment.
Types of Drainage Systems
In maintaining the foundation of your building, having proper drainage is essential. You can pick the best option from the variety of drainage solutions available. Some types of drainage systems include:
- Surface drainage system: This system usually includes an outlet channel, which can be either an existing natural stream or a manmade canal that empties into a natural stream, field ditches or lateral ditches. Surface drainage systems are designed and built with the primary objective of removing excess water as quickly as possible while preventing soil erosion that can happen when the water travels too quickly. Such systems are generally placed in flat locations with inadequate natural drainage.
- Subsurface drainage system: The process of removing water or moisture below the soil’s surface is known as subsurface drainage. The advancement in the study of soil mechanics has demonstrated that soil strength decreases as soil moisture content rises above a particular level.
- Slope drainage system: For these drainage systems, pipes are utilized; however, they are installed at an incline rather than underground. Due to the building’s location on a downhill slope, water will naturally move away from it. To prevent people from falling into the pipes, a protective layer is placed around them.
- Downspouts and gutter system: A structure’s first line of defence against excessive storm water saturation is its downspout and gutter systems. They are frequently discharged into a rain barrel, buried drainpipe, aluminium extension, or another container. The objective is to divert water away from the area and direct it to other drainage systems on the sidewalk or in the roadway.
- French drainage system: A simple channel for water to pass through is provided by French drains. The flow of water begins in a trench filled with gravel and ends in a perforated pipe. The pipe, which drains safely away from the home, allows water to flow through it with no restriction. This kind of drainage is suitable for most buildings. Texas Raindrop provides the best Houston heights irrigation and drainage services.
Why Irrigation and Drainage Systems?
Getting an irrigation or drainage system for your property has numerous advantages. Some of them are highlighted below:
- In order to lessen the impacts of climate change, irrigation and drainage systems can be used to boost the quantity of carbon stored in soils.
- Irrigation systems provide a reliable supply of clean water for drinking, bathing, and other domestic uses thus improving water quality and contributing to improved human health and a decrease in the prevalence of waterborne diseases.
- By draining excess water from urban and rural areas, drainage systems can reduce the risk of flooding and protect assets and buildings from harm.
- By utilising dams and canals, irrigation systems may generate hydroelectric power, a clean and renewable source of energy.
The weather and other elements can cause a lot of damage to your home and land if not properly protected, this is why you need drainage and irrigation solutions installed around your property. You can contact us for the installation of your drainage and irrigation systems. We are the best irrigation company in Houston.