Many homeowners believe that home improvements can be done with a little bit of hard work. Although DIY home improvements are a great way for homeowners to get to know their home and learn some building skills, there are certain tasks that should be left to professionals. Homeowners should not attempt roofing projects. They pose a risk of injury and can lead to poor construction. You don’t want a leak to get worse from a mistake or an accident.
DIY Roofing: The Dangers
- The risk of falling. One of the biggest problems with DIY roofing is the possibility of injury. You run the risk of falling from your roof, causing serious injuries. This can lead to serious injury for homeowners who live in two-story homes. There are many reasons why a roof could fall, including a ladder tipping or slipping on a tile/lose a shingle. Stay Dry Roofing’s team of professional roofing contractors can provide the necessary maintenance while keeping you safe with our top-of-the-line safety equipment. We have years of experience in the field.
- Inadequate repair: Many homeowners and even inexperienced roofing contractors often think that they have completed a roofing job. They soon discover that their roof is not safe from the next storm or rainstorm. Do-it-yourself roof repairs are prone to this because understanding a roof can be difficult. One, many roofs can be considered a complete roofing system. This means that each component works together and if one part fails, the whole system is compromised. A professional roofing contractor will inspect your roof and make sure that all damages are repaired correctly.
- Voiding warranties – While this is a concern more for your wallet than your health it could also mean that you may lose any warranties that were in place by repairing your roof. Many roofing contractors offer warranties for parts and workmanship if your roof has been repaired or replaced recently. You can endanger your warranty if you attempt to repair the roof yourself during the warranty. Because roofing contractors can be trusted to do the job correctly and know how to properly handle certain materials, this is possible. The roofing contractor will not be responsible for any damage to the roof or materials that you cause. If you have any questions, it is best to call your roofing contractor. Most repairs can be done without charge if your roof is still under warranty.
- Incorrect materials: Roofs are made with a specific set of materials that will protect your home. These materials include the shingle type, underlay, and treated wood. GAF roofing materials are the most popular choice for roofing contractors in America. If you’re trying to repair your own roofing, there are very few chances you will find the right materials. You run the risk that your roof will fail if you use the wrong material. It doesn’t matter if the leak is continuous or wood rotting from moisture, it’s best to have a professional roofer use approved materials so your family and belongings are safe and dry in your home.
- Slow project completion – If you have a roof problem, it is likely that it has escalated to an emergency. A leak in the roof or damage to the roof can be noticed. This is when you should make repairs immediately. Due to a lack of experience and manpower, DIY roofing can be slow. Your repair will often take longer than it should and cause more damage than if you hired a professional roofing contractor.
- A long-term investment A well-constructed and maintained roof can last for up to 10-20 years. You are not adding to the longevity of your roof, which is a delicate part of your home’s structure. Proper materials and quality workmanship are essential to ensure a roof lasts a lifetime. DIY work may only solve a problem for several weeks to a month before it becomes a major headache again. You may end up spending more money, time, and effort on something that could be fixed easily by a professional roofing contractor.
This post was written by a roofing specialist At All-Star Roofing. We offer the best roofers in Tampa Bay FL. We are a family-owned and operated roofing business, and we strive to be the best in our industry. Our family has been in the Tampa Bay area for over 60 years, and our objective has always been to provide roofing services at a fast, reliable, and competitive rate. All-Star has a tradition of quality workmanship, servicing residential and commercial properties. Click here for more information!